Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Thing 22 - Books online
I had a look at Google Reader and Project Gutenberg and the Australian Gutenberg version too. I searched and looked at photography and got sidetracked to early Australian history when in Australian Gutenberg. I found this was very interesting looking up Matthew Flinders journal and the like. I preferred the Gutenberg website better than Google Reader. These books/journals are out of copyright and can be viewed in full which would be very helpful for studying history and researching. I did have a quick read of the copyright laws and I understand it is for downloading of books. I would look into it further if I should download.
How do these e-book websites benefit our libraries? If the websites were linked to libraries to show you were hard copies are located, this maybe of use to some people. They help to track the hard copy down.
Copyright, I donot fully comprehend. I understand if you give Google Reader permission for users to download your book you will negotiate a percentage rate of a cost for this. I think that is fair. Time will tell and copyright issues will be sorted.
Information access - I think if you don't get out there and extend information access you will be left in the dark. You will become extinct. Libraries have to keep up with progress.







No comments:

Post a Comment